Like us, plants need nutrients to grow and remain healthy. What you feed your garden will become the basis for the nutrients of its crops.
Here are four simple and free fertilizers that you can for your garden:
1. Wood ashes.
Wood ashes are an excellent amendment. You could get some good fertilizer from wood ashes, especially if you’ve been doing a lot of burning lately and clearing a big piece of land which is an unused piece with a lot of scrub, thorny trees and then making a burn pile.
Wood ashes are an excellent amendment. Here’s a couple of things you need to know about them though:
- Don’t put them on when they’re still hot. Otherwise if done so, they could burn your plants.
- They’re very alkaline. If you have acid soil, putting some wood ashes on is great, but if you have something like limestone soil where it’s very alkaline, putting wood ashes on is a bad idea.
|Wood ashes have got calcium and potassium, both of which plants really like and really need.|
Manure can be offered from pretty much anyone who owns a farm with sheep, horses, cows or goats. In the United States, you should avoid to use this manure, unless you knew it was a completely organic operation.
These have toxins that have been sprayed for mostly about the last decade, Grazon and others which contain aminopyralid.
|Aminopyralid is a long-term persistent herbicide, which can be eaten by the animal, go through its digestive tract, be composted for a year or two, and still destroy your garden.|
Therefore, feeding horses with hay from fields that have been sprayed with aminopyralid and goes to the animal’s digestive tract.
So, manure is one of your best amendments for the soil because it gives you a lot of humus and a bit of fiber for the ground basically. It’s also good for getting that tilt up, and it’s high in minerals and in nitrogen. But if you don’t know that it’s coming from completely organically fed, non- sprayed systems, it can become one of the most dangerous things you can put on your garden.
|If you use manure really fresh, it’ll often burn the ground because it has too much nitrogen in it. But if you let it compost for a few months and then spread it around, it could turn out to be one one of the best things you can add so long as you know it’s not been poisoned.|
Making compost is not as difficult as perceived by many people. Really, all you have to do is find a corner of your yard and throw stuff that will rot like fall leaves, kitchen scraps, eggshells, lasagna.
- All you have to do is scrape it up, pick out the pieces of glass and junk that had been dropped here, and get beautiful, finished compost, which took no work at all.
- You can pretty much just pile stuff on the ground and let nature do it. Everything goes back to the soil, and you can get finished compost without all that work.
|Just pile them up in a corner of your yard and then in a year or two, go over there and dig it up. You’ll find it’s all full of earthworms, rich humus, and you’ve got compost for your gardens.|
4. Compost tea.
It’s a form of composting which can be done in quite a few different ways. You will need to get a trash can which is filled with compostable materials, mostly nitrogen fixing tree leaves and weeds.
|This is anaerobic tea, pretty much sludge, but this sludge is awesome for the garden. The swamp water is loaded with minerals.|
Simple process of making nice, sweet smelling compost tea.
- Get a container and put a little bit of compost into something like some pantyhose or a mesh bag, or whatever.
- Put it in some water, and you make sure that it’s not chlorinated water, because chlorine will kill the organisms in the compost.
- Then run a bubbler. You might throw a little molasses in there for sugar. That’s the way you can add compost organisms to the soil.
- Throw everything in some water and let it rot and then put in some ashes or Epsom salts.
- As it deteriorates, it’s going to break down and put the minerals in the water.
- Pour it out at the base of the plants.
So, you can use these four methods to feed your garden pretty much for free provided you can get some of these things around or light a fire in your yard, or your neighbor has a cow.